

Marulan Quarry Project
Community Consultative Committee
Tenth Meeting, Thursday 18 August, 2022
6:30pm-8:30pm at the Marulan Community Hall

Attendance:

Ian Colley (Independent Chair)
Vergilio Serra (Global Quarries)
Ankeedo Esho (Minute taker)
Karl Rosen (GHD)
Bill Pickering (GQ)
Stephanie Mowle (Council)
Graeme Dally
Wendy Dally
Darryl Pearson
Don Angelosante
George Emerzidis

Garry Breeze (Observer)

The meeting started at 6:30pm

Welcome and Apologies

Apologies from Bill Kenchington

Ian: Welcome to all here today

Wendy: Acknowledgment of the country – the land that we all live on has spiritual connection to us and a spiritual story that still runs today.

Minutes and actions from previous meetings

Graeme: on the agenda the provision for consultation of the summaries from the 9th meeting should have come before any GQ report. Bill's commenting about the bullying wasn't included in the minutes

Ian: I'm not going to include arguments about bullying in the minutes. My view is that it was a simple misunderstanding. Today's meeting is more for community members to ask questions about the reports received at the previous meeting

Vergilio: one action was to provide traffic layout, I printed them out and will hand them out

Ian: Noise modelling taking place?

Karl: Wind methodology regarding air quality?

Graeme: yes

Karl: I'll look into that

GQ Update

Vergilio: EIS is almost complete, in draft format waiting on review. Crown Lands is progressed, and we are meeting with the Aboriginal council. Crown Lands is out of our hands we are dealing and waiting on other parties

Ian: any questions on those items?

Graeme: most of your reports are finished?

Vergilio: they are in draft and under review

Graeme: when will we get them?

Vergilio dependent on Crown Lands; I am not sure until we get answers. I can't give you an answer but we near the end

Wendy: Crown Lands was always an issue, why didn't you look into that from the start? There is a huge back log there. You knew this 3 and a half year ago

Vergilio: we did actually, we did get in contact with someone named Robert Kelly to guide us. The back log is 15,000. They don't get accessed until someone inquiries about it, which GQ did.

Wendy: why didn't you tell us that was the big thing, and this was going to take this long.

Ian: point taken, let's move on.

Karl: Health risk assessment will be a concern for the SIA, which feeds in the social impact assessment, so Vergilio is right, all reports are near to completion.

Wendy: Karl can I just say can you give those girls a big hands up, those girls are so professional. They listen, they were tuned in, sensitive, they followed up, they answered straight away. They gave people copies of what they said. Please thank them

Karl: I will thank them

Don: where are you from Bill P?

Bill P: from GQ I took over from the previous guy, there was issues with getting information out. Part of the campaign is door knocking, businesses, houses in the area. I'm here to provide information to the community. We have met with key stakeholders which was reported in the previous meeting. I have done an internal report which lists all of the concerns from people and summarised those

points in attention to what is done by GHD the girls, they are looking at social impacting and will do another report. I will provide that information. We have spoken to people near vicinity of the quarry. Our role is to meet people face to face and report the concerns, as part of a wider community report is in draft.

Vergilio: all reports from Bill's P findings will be incorporated into GQ and GHD report. You will get 1 report.

Karl: to clarify that it will be an appendix to the EIS

Graeme: those 350 questions came from the residence from Winfarthing. Which represents 80 odd people not just the people at the meeting

Vergilio: The issues that keep arising are the same issues. We will take them into account in the EIS.

Bill P: meeting with stake holders, we are having issues with meeting with 1 or 2 stakeholders. We do not have a meeting with them at this stage. When we have a date, we will let the community know

Graeme: SIA says you should meet with business, CCC, community meetings and we haven't sat with you as a community. The SIA says CCC is a different group from the Winfarthing community. We have executive and committee members which you have not met yet. We have business people you haven't met yet

Vergilio: are we able to have a phone conversation?

Graeme: meeting face to face with a group is different with a phone call to one person

Karl: we will report on what is being undertaken. I will read the SEARs requirements regarding meetings. If you are not happy about not having a meeting then put it in your submissions.

Wendy: so, you have done business in town, but we have 6 that will be affected by the quarry being here

Bill P: are they members of your group?

Wendy: no

Bill P: everyone not a part of your group has been door knocked and have my contact information.

Graeme: you have not contacted all of them surrounding the quarry site?

Vergilio: yes, we have contacted everyone.

Graeme: No you haven't and we have Garry here who has never had any contact from GQ.

Garry: I have not been contacted at all and I'll be affected by the dust the most

Don: is there a chance of having a meeting with all Winfarthing road? We would like for you to come and listen to their questions

Vergilio: last time we did that we only had 4 or 5 people to speak and the rest did not speak. That's why we did door knocking to talk to everyone individually. We have been trying to get in contact with people.

Graeme: what evidence do you base that on?

Vergilio: Our previous meeting

Ian: Okay enough tik and tacking around this conversation. We will go to Karl now

Karl: I gave a brief update recently. As Vergilio said all the specialist reports are drafted, there is a couple that need to have a review like the air quality

Don: the dust, is it going into my tank, my water? Who will clean my tank and provide me clean water?

Bill P: this has been mentioned look at dot point 3 of the Community relations report. we are aware of your concerns.

Don: Why don't you have freshwater pumping into everyone's property there?

Vergilio: the report will show the worst-case scenario

George: I don't think so, if you blast in the day what will happen

Karl: all blasting will be timed. No blasting will happen in bad weather

Geroge: just these 3 blokes here are in within 1 Km of the blasting zones

Wendy: are you having one of those sheds, negative atmosphere. Is the venm and enm going to be covered. You can cover it with a plastic dome, won't that help to reduce the dust coming out

Vergilio: doing something like that will take a lot of time out of the day, there is water management and other way to suppress the dust. We will put the tarp on when we go home and take it off when we come in. Covers will not be put on active piles.

Karl: the air quality assessment will have everything, trucks, dust, range of air pollutants. The smaller particles which are the most risk, we have assessed with the correct guidance. The presentation has a snapshot of what they are. I think 2018 or 19 was used as an EPA guidance. The results show as the project goes on it will be minimum. When it will be above 90 or 95 percent.

Wendy: Has La Nina been taken into account? Like the floods remembering here Goulburn is known for its wind

Vergilio: we use the worst-case scenario and model from that.

Wendy: you're making the money here and taking it to Sydney. Any companies with quarries should look into that, looking after us and not the money

Vergilio: I disagree with you we about taking it back to Sydney

Vergilio: there are contractors and businesses here that will work on the quarry, there are opportunities for Marulan with the quarry.

Karl: I will follow up with the air quality team and make sure everything is in accordance with the EPA guidelines

Wendy: that's all I ask for

Don: my biggest concern is a truck hitting a car when coming out. Why can't you build an overpass?

Karl: money, the size of the project. They found Aboriginal artifacts we can't destroy. We are seeking another meeting with RMS to talk about the design.

Don: when you find more information about that let us know

Ian: yes

Darryl: what happens if a truck breaks down?

Karl: like every other truck that breaks down on the highway

Ian: RMS will make the decision

Darrel: what happens if it gets rejected, what then?

Karl: potential left in and left out

Graeme: where have you taken the wind measures from, what recording station?

Graeme: why haven't GQ set up a meteorological station to get accurate data?

Karl: it is too expensive.

Graeme/Wendy: will the local Geology and topography (the airport is on flat treeless land) get taken into account?

Karl: I have no idea to be honest about the change in geology and computer modelling will take the topography into account.

Darrel: on your document you sent out. Looking at the hill from Winfarthing Rd. Have you taken into account that visual disturbances?

Karl: yes, we have taken that into account

Darrel: the flora and fauna. What were the 2 threatened orchids. What were the names of those?

Karl: Spider and pendant donkey orchid. I will email you the list what was recorded on site

ACTION: Karl to send list of threatened species recorded on site to the CCC members

Darrel: the artifacts that were found on site, were they removed or left onsite?

Karl: they were left on site but I will need to confirm as they might take them to do studies

Wendy: have the reports been finished on that

Vergilio: is there a specific question?

Wendy: no, we just want the report

Karl: the registered parties will have ability to comment on the report

Darryl: what is the blue and purple in the diagram

Karl: blue is testing pits and the purple is a mistake. It's an incorrect draft version

George: 42.5 Tonne is wrong. It's meant to be 48-50 tonne

Karl: in terms of the material going out the average is 30 tonnes, but we will double check. Maximum is 42.5 tonne pay load.

ACTION: Check the truck payload - Karl

Graeme: rehabilitation plan?

Karl. Refill the pit with venm and enm then natural soil material and replanted

Wendy: there are too many what ifs

Don: can you guarantee me that no asbestos will go in there

Vergilio: yes, we guarantee as we will get audited

Wendy: will venm and enm leak out?

Karl: potential of leaching has been considered. The modelling that has been done has taken into account flooding. Any overflow from the sediment dams will go upstream

Graeme: with your stock pile, how are you going to prevent drivers from looking at the exposed and dusty stock pile and the activities of trucks and other equipment that will distract drivers travelling at 110 kmh from causing a crash?

Vergilio: we will look into that. The risk of accidents is possible.

Graeme: trucks going in and out. 50 trucks in and 50 out. Are they contractors?

Vergilio: we will give opportunity to the local contractors, that is the first choice.

George: how many days a week do the trucks come

Vergilio: probably 6

Darryl: I want that in writing

Graeme: are trucks coming early in the morning unloaded? If yes, then there is more than 50

Karl: all trucks count as a movement max will be 50

Graeme: trucks exiting you only have 14 meters. How is it possible?

Ian: we will leave that to RMS to answer

Vergilio: we will ask the person drafting it and get a response to that.

ACTION – Get response from RMS on the viability of the truck exit turning space – Vergilio

Graeme: noise monitoring where is that?

Karl: one private property further up and one GQ quarry land

Karl: it is documented, and we have permission from the owner. It was a young couple they agreed to have it and it's recorded for 10 days

Graeme: what is the decibel level of the noise from the blasting

Karl: I don't have the noise report with me

Graeme: the effect of blasting on domestic pets, how will that affect them?

Karl: literary review, report references studies that address this

Graeme: according to modelling, 9 of 10 blasts will affect winfarthing residents. Does the blast area breach Council requirements?

Don: I want to know, if my concrete foundation cracks, who will fix it

Vergilio: we have spoken about this

Karl: to answer Graeme's question the Council isn't required to match the DCP requirements.

Stephanie: The council will respond in any case.

Graeme: you have the acceleration lane with a -5.4 % gradient adjustment. The left in lane has a +4.5 adjustment. But going uphill you have no adjustment for the +5.4% gradient, why not?

Vergilio: we will investigate that

Graeme: The weave effect on the motorway, from like roads coming on the highway, RMS have a big problem with a quarry in Sutton Forest. They have a large weave effect. Now have you taken that into account

Karl: I don't believe so we will look into that

Vergilio: a lot of these questions will be answered in the report

ACTION: Ensure the report addresses the questions about traffic movements at the site.

Karl: anyone can provide a question to the Department of planning, GQ will be asked to prepare an answer to your questions.

Graeme: bio-diversity: we have had our lands tested and we are finding endangered species but you can't find anything?

Karl: Council will have an assessor to view the site

Vergilio: we have sent appropriate people to find what's on site. We can send you the list. Professionals have been sent out and Council will send out theirs

Graeme: the noise modelling is confusing.

Ian: Do the 2 reds on 2 different things mean 2 different things

Graeme: Vergilio we asked last meeting about leasing land. What is the purpose of the 5 leased lands?

Vergilio: there is no purpose. As a precaution we leased more land to drill.

Karl: we will provide a heritage report to the Aboriginal parties

Garry: Are you going to have a dedicated environmental officer on site

Vergilio: yes, a dedicated project manager will be on site who is knowledgeable about all the guidelines

Karl: a quarry around this scale doesn't usually have an environment officer. Record keeping of truck loading is in question

Darrel: how will the quarry be powered

Vergilio: a substation, and generators might be used in hard-to-reach places

Darrel: I refuse you to use generators

Wendy: we paid for the electricity from Boxers Creek to our house.

Graeme: what tier is the quarry 1 2 or 3

Vergilio: I don't know

Graeme: Tier 1 you need certain people on it.

Vergilio: whatever tier we fall under we will follow the requirements

Graeme: bullying is missing in the minutes

Wendy: Bill P made the comment to Graeme. Shane had made a comment that old people thought that 1 to 1 meetings were was bullying.

Ian: that conversation is not useful, and won't be recorded in the minutes. From my perspective, there was no bullying at the meeting.

Ian: one other question looking forward, the EIS reports should be finished soon. How do we manage timing of our meetings in relation to the EIS reports. I'd rather not have another meeting until we have substantial new information.

Karl: there is a process. I am not happy with providing draft material until we are ready to submit.

Vergilio: potentially we can give you final drafts 1 week prior to submission.

Graeme: are we getting any more summaries in the future?

Karl: I am happy to provide something similar to the presentation, and offer various snapshots. The SIA findings we can put on a similar slide, and the detailed information will be found in the reports.

Darrel: the Department gave you an extension right?

Graeme: the 1st of July as of the new legislation

Gorge: if that doesn't happen what then?

Karl: then we might have to re-apply for SIAs. There is a bit of grey area.

Ian: when do we want to do the next CCC meeting

Vergilio: Let's not make a date today, let's see how the Crown Land process goes then we can decide.

George: when you're ready give us a call.

Ian: So, my understanding is that we will schedule a CCC meeting prior to the reports being submitted, and with the information being made available to the CCC.

Ian: Thank you all. Meeting is ended

Actions Items

Tenth Meeting

ACTION 1: Email the list of threatened species - Karl

ACTION 2: Check the truck payload – Karl

ACTION 3 – Get response from RMS on the viability of the truck exit turning space – Vergilio

ACTION: Ensure the report addresses the questions about traffic movements at the site.

Action items remaining incomplete from previous meetings

Ninth Meeting

ACTION 2: Email copies of the noise modelling to the CCC - To do.

ACTION 3: Invite a blasting professional to address the CCC - To do.

ACTION 4: Send the wind methodology to the CCC - To do

Eighth Meeting

Action 4: Vergilio for GQ to respond in writing with relevant information in draft form when it becomes available. – in process

Action 5: GHD to respond to the calls for more direct and frequent communication with local residents. – in process

Sixth Meeting

Action 1: VS check for inconsistencies and gaps in the information document handed out last meeting (such as contradictory statements on the trig station) – to do

Action 2 – VS to supply the visibility study when completed – to do

Fifth Meeting

Action 1 VS to consider meeting with NOW Inc, subject to Covid advice. – to do

Action 2 (this action item rephrased for clarity) VS to supply its local contact list to NOW and to contact people to participate in the second SIA. -to follow up

First Meeting

Action 6 The EIS report will be made available when completed. – to do

Action 8 GQ will clarify power source to members. – to do

Action 9 GQ to provide details of insurance once approval is granted. – to do